1. John Joseph “Jack” Nicholson is an American actor and filmmaker, having performed for nearly 60 years.
2. He is known for playing a wide range of starring or supporting roles, including satirical comedy, romance and dark portrayals of excitable and psychopathic characters.
3. In many of his films he played the “eternal outsider, the sardonic drifter”, and someone who rebels against the social structure.
4. He also won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for the comedy-drama Terms of Endearment .
5. Nicholson is one of three male actors to win three Academy Awards.
6. Nicholson is one of only two actors to be nominated for an Academy Award for acting in every decade from the 1960s to the 2000s; the other is Michael Caine.
7. He has won six Golden Globe Awards, and received the Kennedy Center Honor in 2001.
8. Other films in which he has starred include the road movie Easy Rider .
9. Nicholson was born on April 22, 1937 in Neptune City, New Jersey, the son of a showgirl, June Frances Nicholson descent.
10. She married Italian American showman Donald Furcillo in 1936, not knowing that he was already married.
11. In 1974, Time magazine researchers learned, and informed Nicholson, that his “sister,” June, was actually his mother, and his other “sister,” Lorraine, was really his aunt. By this time, both his mother and grandmother had died .
12. He was in detention every day for a whole school year. A theatre and a drama award at the school are named in his honor.
13. In 2004, Nicholson attended his 50-year high school reunion accompanied by his aunt Lorraine. He served a tour of duty in the Air National Guard.
14. Nicholson first came to Hollywood in 1954, when he was 17, to visit his sister.
15. He took a job as an office worker for animation legends William Hanna and Joseph Barbera at the MGM cartoon studio.
16. They offered him a starting level job as an animation artist, but he declined, citing his desire to become an actor.
17. He trained to be an actor with a group called the Players Ring Theater, after which time he found small parts performing on the stage and in TV soap operas. He made his film debut in a low-budget teen drama The Cry Baby Killer , playing the title role.