1. Sally Margaret Field is an American film and television actress and director.
2. Throughout her career that has totaled more than five decades, she has won two Academy Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, three Primetime Emmy Awards, and a Screen Actors Guild Award, among numerous other accolades.
3. Field began her career in television, starring on the sitcoms Gidget from 1965 to 1966 and The Flying Nun from 1967 to 1970.
4. After numerous other television roles, Field ventured into film, starring in Smokey and the Bandit , for which she received universal acclaim, receiving the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance.
5. She later received Golden Globe Award nominations for her performances in Absence of Malice .
6. In the 1990s, Field appeared in a wide range of films, including Not Without My Daughter .
7. In the 2000s, Field returned to television with a recurring role as Maggie Wyczenski on the NBC medical drama ER, for which she won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series in 2001.
8. From 2006 to 2011, she portrayed the lead role of Nora Walker on the ABC television drama Brothers & Sisters, for which she won the 2007 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
9. She also appeared as Aunt May in The Amazing Spider-Man and reprised the role in the 2014 sequel, The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
10. As a director, Field is known for directing the television film The Christmas Tree .
11. Her overall contribution to film and television is considered large; in 2014, she was presented with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
12. Her father, Richard Dryden Field, was an Army officer, and her mother, Margaret Field , was an actress.
13. As a teen, Field attended Portola Middle School and Birmingham High School in Van Nuys, where she was a cheerleader.
14. Her classmates included financier Michael Milken, actress Cindy Williams and talent agent Michael Ovitz.
15. Field got her start on television as the boy-crazy surfer girl in the sitcom Gidget .
16. The show was not an initial success and was canceled after a single season; however, summer reruns garnered respectable ratings, making the show a belated success.
17. Field was then typecast, finding respectable roles difficult to come by.
18. She made several guest television appearances through the mid 1970s, including a recurring role on the western Alias Smith and Jones, a popular TV series starring Gidget co-star Pete Duel.