1. Andrew Clement “Andy” Serkis is an English film actor, director and author.
2. He is best known for his performance-capture roles comprising motion-capture acting, animation and voice work for such computer-generated characters as: Gollum in The Lord of the Rings film trilogy .
3. Upcoming motion-capture roles include Caesar in War for the Planet of the Apes .
4. Serkis also earned a Golden Globe Award nomination for his portrayal of serial killer Ian Brady in the British television film Longford .
5. In 2015, he had a small role in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
6. Serkis has his own motion-capture workshop, The Imaginarium Studios in London, and is set to use the technology with his directing debut, Jungle Book: Origins, in 2017.
7. Serkis was born and brought up in Ruislip Manor in Middlesex.
8. His father, Clement Serkis, was an Iraqi gynaecologist of Armenian ethnicity.
9. He chose theatre as a secondary subject so that he could design posters. Serkis was a member of the County College and part of the student radio station Bailrigg FM.
10. He joined the Nuffield Studio, getting involved in designing and producing plays.
11. On graduation, although advised to take a one-year post-graduate acting course, he joined Dukes as an actor and, under director Jonathan Petherbridge who used workshops based upon the methods of Augusto Boal, spent 18 months acting in a broad range of productions from Brecht through Shakespeare to modern British playwrights.
12. Like many British actors, Serkis made the move to television by appearing in small roles, such as Greville in an episode of The Darling Buds of May .
13. However, one of his first major starring roles was in the joint BBC/HBO production of Einstein and Eddington .
14. Serkis played Albert Einstein, following the development of his theory of relativity, while David Tennant played British scientist Sir Arthur Eddington.
15. His work on The Lord of the Rings started a debate on the legitimacy of CGI-assisted acting.
16. Some critics felt Serkis should have been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, since his voice, body language, and facial expressions were used.
17. There is the argument that his CGI actions were partially, or in some cases fully, animated without his movements, but the same is true for actors in a traditional film with CGI.
18. Serkis worked with game developers Ninja Theory on the 2007 release Heavenly Sword, providing the motion capture and voice for King Bohan , as well as acting as Dramatic Director for the game.