1. He is perhaps best known for portraying Jesus Christ in the 2004 film The Passion of the Christ.
2. Other notable roles include Private Witt in The Thin Red Line .
3. Since September 2011, he has starred as John Reese on the CBS science-fiction crime drama series Person of Interest.
4. Caviezel was born in Mount Vernon, Washington, the son of Margaret , a former stage actress and housewife, and James Caviezel, a chiropractor. He has a younger brother, Timothy, and three sisters, Ann, Amy, and Erin.
5. He was raised in a tightly knit Catholic family in Conway, Washington. His surname is of Romansh origin.
6. His father is of Slovak and Swiss descent, while his mother is of Irish descent.
7. He then enrolled at Bellevue College, where he played college basketball.
8. A foot injury in his second year put an end to his hopes of an NBA career, and he transferred to the University of Washington, where he turned his focus to acting and became a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.
9. He earned his Screen Actors Guild card with a minor role in the 1991 film My Own Private Idaho.
10. He then moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting.
11. After appearing in G.I. Jane , he had a breakthrough performance in the 1998 Terence Malick-directed World War II film The Thin Red Line.
12. He played Black John, a Missouri bushwhacker, in Ride with the Devil .
13. The film was intended to be a summer blockbuster, but it fell flat at the box office.
14. Caviezel was originally cast to play Scott Summers / Cyclops in X-Men .
15. He starred in mainstream Hollywood films such as Pay It Forward .
16. In 2000, he played the lead role in Madison, a film about hydroplane racing in Madison, Indiana.
17. The film was completed in 2001, but it sat on the shelf for several years and did not appear in theaters until a limited release in 2005.
18. In 2002, he played a pivotal role in the film I Am David.