1. pop Cheryl Ann Fernandez-Versini in the context of her recording promotions.
2. She rose to fame in late 2002 when she auditioned for the reality television show Popstars: The Rivals on ITV.
3. The programme announced that Fernandez-Versini had won a place as a member of the girl group Girls Aloud. The group’s line-up remained the same throughout their history and during that time the group achieved a string of twenty consecutive top ten singles in the United Kingdom (including four number one singles) and six platinum albums (two of which went to number one) and earned five Brit Award nominations from 2005 to 2010.
4. At the 2009 Brit Awards, Girls Aloud won Best Single with their song “The Promise”.
5. Fernandez-Versini embarked on a solo career and released her first solo studio album 3 Words (2009).
6. The album became a commercial success and spawned three successful singles including the lead single from the album, “Fight for This Love,” which debuted at number one on the UK charts, becoming the best selling single of the year.
7. 2010 saw the release of Fernandez-Versini’s second studio album Messy Little Raindrops, which produced two singles, the first being “Promise This” which also debuted at number one.
8. Fernandez-Versini released her third solo album A Million Lights on 18 June 2012, with lead single “Call My Name” becoming her third number one single. Only Human was released in 2014 and spawned three singles including “Crazy Stupid Love” and “I Don’t Care”.
9. Both singles went to number one in the UK and made Fernandez-Versini the first British female to have five number ones in the UK.
10. In 2011, Fernandez-Versini left the UK version of The X Factor to judge the American version.
11. However, Fernandez-Versini left the show during the auditions stage, fuelling rumours that she had been sacked.
12. Fernandez-Versini was born in Newcastle upon Tyne and grew up on council estates in the neighbouring districts of Walker and Heaton.
13. She is the fourth of five children of Joan Callaghan, and the first of her two children with Garry Tweedy following the collapse of her marriage to the father of her three other children.
14. Callaghan and Tweedy were together for more than a decade but never married each other; they separated when Fernandez-Versini was eleven years old.
15. As a young child circa 1990, she appeared in a television advert for British Gas with her younger brother Garry.
16. She won recognition in several modelling competitions, including the titles of Boots Group’s “bonniest baby”, Mothercare’s Happy Faces Portrait competition, “Best Looking Girl of Newcastle”, The Evening Chronicle’s “Little Miss and Mister”, and “Most Attractive Girl” at the MetroCentre.
17. She made appearances in British Gas adverts for a second time, an SCS furniture store advert, and an Eldon Square Christmas advert with younger brother Garry.
18. She attended Walker Comprehensive School in Newcastle between September 1994 and July 1999, and left at 16 with few qualifications.
19. Fernandez-Versini auditioned for the reality television show Popstars: The Rivals in 2002 with the song “Have You Ever”. Several thousand applicants attended auditions across the UK in hope of being selected.