1. DeForest was named after the pioneering electronics engineer Lee de Forest.
2. Before the end of his first year at Conyers, Kelley was regularly putting to use his musical talents and often sang solo in morning church services. Eventually, this led to an appearance on the radio station WSB AM in Atlanta.
3. He attended the Decatur Boys High School, where he played on the Decatur Bantams baseball team.
4. Before his graduation in 1938, Kelley got a job as a drugstore car hop.
5. During World War II, Kelley served as an enlisted man in the United States Army Air Forces from March 10, 1943 to January 28, 1946, assigned to the First Motion Picture Unit.
6. After an extended stay in Long Beach, California, Kelley decided to pursue an acting career and relocate to southern California permanently, living for a time with his uncle Casey.
7. He worked as an usher in a local theater in order to earn enough money for the move.
8. While in California, Kelley was spotted by a Paramount Pictures scout while doing a United States Navy training film.
9. His next role, in Variety Girl, established him as a leading actor and resulted in the founding of his first fan club.
10. Kelley did not become a leading man, however, and he and his wife, Carolyn, decided to move to New York City.
11. He found work on stage and on live television, but after three years in New York, the Kelleys returned to Hollywood.
12. In California, he received a role in an installment of You Are There, anchored by Walter Cronkite.
13. He played ranch owner Bob Kitteridge in the 1949 episode “Legion of Old Timers” of the television series The Lone Ranger.
14. This led to an appearance in Gunfight at the O.K. Corral as Morgan Earp .
15. This role led to three movie offers, including Warlock with Henry Fonda and Anthony Quinn.
16. In 1957, he had a small role as a Southern officer in Raintree County, a Civil War film directed by Edward Dmytryk, alongside Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift and Lee Marvin.
17. He also starred in the lead role as a U.S. Navy submarine captain in World War II in The Silent Service.
18. He appeared in both season 1, episode 5, “The Spearfish Delivers”, as Commander Dempsey and in the first episode of season 2, “The Archerfish Spits Straight”, as Lieutenant Commander Enright.
19. Leonard Nimoy also appeared in two different episodes of the series at around the same time.
20. Kelley appeared three times on Gunfight at the O.K. Corral: first in 1955, where he portrayed Ike Clanton in the television series You Are There; again, two years later in the 1957 film of that name, playing Morgan Earp; and perhaps in an ironic salute, once again on October 25, 1968, in a third-season Star Trek episode titled “Spectre of the Gun”, this time portraying Tom McLaury.