1. He is known for his dark, gothic and quirky fantasy films such as Beetlejuice .
2. Burton has worked repeatedly with Johnny Depp, who has become a close friend of Burton since their first film together.
3. He has also worked with musician Danny Elfman, who has composed scores for all but two of the films Burton has directed.
4. He also wrote and illustrated the poetry book The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories, published in 1997 by Faber and Faber, and a compilation of his drawings, sketches and other artwork, entitled The Art of Tim Burton, was released in 2009.
5. A follow-up to The Art of Tim Burton, entitled The Napkin Art of Tim Burton: Things You Think About in a Bar, containing sketches made by Burton in napkins at bars and restaurants he occasionally visits, was released in 2015.
6. Burton studied at Burbank High School, but he was not a particularly good student.
7. He was a very introspective person, and found his pleasure in painting, drawing and watching films.
8. His future work would be heavily influenced by the works of such childhood heroes as Dr. Seuss and Roald Dahl.
9. While at Disney in 1982, Burton made his first short, Vincent, a six-minute black-and-white stop motion film based on a poem written by the filmmaker, and depicting a young boy who fantasizes that he is his hero Vincent Price, with Price himself providing narration.
10. The film was produced by Rick Heinrichs, whom Burton had befriended while working in the concept art department at Disney.
11. The film was shown at the Chicago Film Festival and released, alongside the teen drama Tex, for two weeks in one Los Angeles cinema.
12. Having aired once in 1983 at 10:30 pm on Halloween and promptly shelved, prints of the film are extremely difficult to locate, fueling rumors that the project did not exist.
13. The short would finally go on public display in 2009 at the Museum of Modern Art, and again in 2011 as part of the Tim Burton art exhibit at LACMA.
14. It tells the story of a young boy who tries to revive his dog after it is run over by a car.