1. Ingrid Bergman était une actrice suédoise qui a joué dans une variété de films européens et américains. She won three Academy Awards, two Emmy Awards, four Golden Globe Awards, a BAFTA Award, and the Tony Award for Best Actress.
2. She is best remembered for her roles as Ilsa Lund in Casablanca , an Alfred Hitchcock thriller starring Cary Grant.
3. Before becoming a star in American films, Bergman had been a leading actress in Swedish films.
4. Her introduction to American audiences came with her starring role in the English-language remake of Intermezzo .
5. At her insistence, producer David O. Selznick agreed not to sign her to a contract – for four films rather than the then-standard seven-year period, also at her insistence – until after Intermezzo had been released.
6. The affair and then marriage with Rossellini created a scandal in the US that forced her to remain in Europe for several years, when she made a successful Hollywood return in Anastasia , for which she won her second Academy Award.
7. Many of her personal and film documents can be seen in the Wesleyan University Cinema Archives.
8. Dans 2007, the American Film Institute ranked Bergman the as the fourth-greatest female screen legend of classic American cinema.
9. Bergman, named after Princess Ingrid of Sweden, was born on 29 August 1915 in Stockholm, to a Swedish father, Justus Bergman, and his German wife, Frieda Bergman. When she was two years of age, her mother died.
10. Her father, who was an artist and photographer, died when she was 13.
11. In the years before he died, he wanted her to become an opera star, and had her take voice lessons for three years.
12. After his death, she was sent to live with an aunt, who died of heart disease only six months later.
13. She then moved in with her Aunt Hulda and Uncle Otto, who had five children.