1. She began her career at age 14 after entering a beauty pageant in 1949.
2. Notable film appearances around this time include Houseboat, That Kind of Woman, and It Started in Naples.
3. She holds the record for having earned six David di Donatello Awards for Best Actress, the most ever received: Two Women, Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, Marriage Italian Style , Sunflower, The Voyage, and A Special Day.
4. After starting her family in the early 1970s, Loren spent less time on her acting career and chose to make only occasional film appearances.
5. In later years, she has appeared in American films such as Grumpier Old Men and Nine.
6. Aside from the Academy Award, she has won a Grammy Award, five special Golden Globes, a BAFTA Award, a Laurel Award, and the Honorary Academy Award in 1991.
7. Dans 1995, she received the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievements, one of many such awards.
8. Loren was born Sofia Villani Scicolone in the Clinica Regina Margherita in Rome, Italy, the daughter of Romilda Villani .
9. During World War II, the harbour and munitions plant in Pozzuoli was a frequent bombing target of the Allies.
10. During one raid, as Loren ran to the shelter, she was struck by shrapnel and wounded in the chin.
11. After that, the family moved to Naples, where they were taken in by distant relatives.
12. Romilda Villani played the piano, Maria sang, and Loren waited on tables and washed dishes.
13. When she was 14, Sofia entered a beauty pageant, Miss Italia 1950 and, while not winning, was selected as one of the finalists.
14. After being credited professionally as Sofia Lazzaro, she began using her current stage name in La Favorita .
15. Le nouveau nom est une torsion sur le nom de l'actrice suédoise Märta Torén et a été suggéré par Goffredo Lombardo ou Carlo Ponti.