1. Leati Joseph “Joe” Anoa?i (born May 25, 1985) is an American professional wrestler and former professional Canadian football player.
2. A member of the Anoa?i family, he is currently signed to WWE, where he performs under the ring name Roman Reigns.
3. After playing collegiate football for Georgia Tech, Anoa?i started his professional football career with brief off-season stints with the Minnesota Vikings and Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL) in 2007.
4. He then played a full season for the Canadian Football League’s Edmonton Eskimos in 2008 before his release and retirement from football.
5. Anoa?i then pursued a career in professional wrestling and was signed by WWE in 2010, reporting to their developmental territory Florida Championship Wrestling.
6. While a part of the group, Reigns was a WWE Tag Team Champion (with Rollins), tied the WWE record for most eliminations in a Survivor Series elimination match with four in 2013, and set the record for most eliminations in a Royal Rumble match with 12 at the 2014 match.
7. After the dissolution of the Shield in June 2014, Reigns became a singles competitor, winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship once, the 2015 Royal Rumble and the 2014 Superstar of the Year Slammy Award.
8. Anoa?i played football for three years at Pensacola Catholic High School and one year at Escambia High School.
9. His senior year, he was named Defensive Player of the Year by the Pensacola News Journal. He then attended Georgia Institute of Technology, where he was a member of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team.
10. There, he was teammates with future National Football League (NFL) wide receiver Calvin Johnson.
11. Anoa’i was a three-year starter beginning in his sophomore year and was also one of the team captains as a senior.
12. After going undrafted in the 2007 NFL Draft, Anoa’i was signed by the Minnesota Vikings in May 2007, but was released later that month.
13. In July 2010, Anoa?i signed a developmental contract with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and was later assigned to their developmental territory Florida Championship Wrestling (FCW). He debuted on September 9, 2010, using the ring name Roman Leakee, in a loss to Richie Steamboat in a singles match.
14. Further losses to Idol Stevens and Wes Brisco ensued, before he gained his first win on September 21 over Fahd Rakman.
15. He continued competing in FCW throughout the remainder of the year, wrestling mainly in tag team matches.
16. Reigns made his main roster television debut on November 18, 2012, at the Survivor Series pay-per-view alongside Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins, assaulting Ryback during the triple threat main event for the WWE Championship, allowing CM Punk to retain the title. The trio declared themselves “The Shield” and vowed to rally against “injustice”.
17. He eliminated both his Shield teammates, and was the runner-up in the match after being eliminated by Batista. The next night on Raw, The Shield competed in a six-man tag team match against Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, and John Cena, with all three members of the winning team qualifying for the Elimination Chamber match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.
18. The Shield lost the match via disqualification after The Wyatt Family interfered and attacked Cena, Bryan, and Sheamus.
19. The Shield wanted revenge and a six-man tag for The Shield against The Wyatt Family at the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view was arranged, in which The Shield lost.