1. Janet Damita Jo Jackson est une chanteuse américaine, songwriter, and actress.
2. Known for a series of sonically innovative, socially conscious and sexually provocative records, as well as elaborate stage shows, television and film roles, she has been a prominent figure in popular culture for over 30 years.
3. The youngest child of the Jackson family, she began her career with the variety television series The Jacksons in 1976 and went on to appear in other television shows throughout the 1970s and early 1980s, including Good Times and Fame.
4. After signing a recording contract with A&M Records arranged by her father and manager Joseph Jackson in 1982, she became a pop icon following the release of her third studio album Control .
5. Her collaborations with record producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis incorporated elements of rhythm and blues, funk, disco, rap, and industrial beats, which led to crossover success in popular music.
6. In addition to receiving recognition for the innovation in her records, choreography, music videos, and prominence on radio airplay and MTV, she was acknowledged as a role model for her socially conscious lyrics.
7. Dans 1991, she signed the first of two record-breaking, multimillion-dollar contracts with Virgin Records, establishing her as one of the highest paid artists in the industry.
8. Her debut album under the label, Janet , saw her develop a public image as a sex symbol as she began to explore sexuality in her work.
9. That same year, she appeared in her first starring film role in Poetic Justice; since then she has continued to act in feature films.
10. By the end of the 1990s, she was named the second most successful recording artist of the decade.
11. After parting ways with Virgin she released her tenth studio album Discipline , her first and only album with Island Records.
12. Dans 2015, she partnered with BMG Rights Management to launch her own record label, Rhythm Nation Records.
13. She received a nomination for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the same year.
14. She holds the record for the most consecutive top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 by a female artist with 18.
15. Dans 2008, Billboard magazine released its list of the Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists, placing her at number seven, while in 2010, ranking her fifth among the “Top 50 R&B/Hip-Hop Artists of the Past 25 Years”.
16. Janet Jackson was born in Gary, Indiana, the youngest of ten children, Katherine Esther et Joseph Walter Jackson. At a young age, her brothers began performing as The Jackson 5.
17. In March 1969, the group signed a record deal with Motown, and soon had their first number-one hit.
18. The family then moved to the Encino neighborhood of Los Angeles. Jackson had initially desired to become a horse racing jockey or entertainment lawyer, with plans to support herself through acting.
19. When Jackson was sixteen, her father and manager Joseph Jackson, arranged her a contract with A&M Records. Her debut album, Janet Jackson, was released in 1982.
20. After her second album, Jackson terminated business affairs with her family, commenting “I just wanted to get out of the house, get out from under my father, which was one of the most difficult things that I had to do.” Attempting a third album, Jackson teamed with producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.