1. Rajmund Roman Thierry Polański , film director, producer, writer, and actor.
2. Having made films in Poland, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States, he is considered one of the few “truly international filmmakers”.
3. In the United Kingdom he directed three films, beginning with Repulsion .
4. The following year he went to Italy to make What? and subsequently spent the next five years living near Rome.
5. The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards, and was a critical and box-office success.
6. In 1977, after a photo shoot in Los Angeles, Polanski was arrested for the rape of 13-year-old Samantha Geimer and pleaded guilty to the charge of unlawful sex with a minor. He was released from prison after serving 42 days and was told that the prosecutors had agreed to ask for him to be put on probation.
7. When he learned that the judge planned to reject the plea bargain, he fled to Paris before sentencing.
8. He publicly offered his apology to Geimer, telling her he regretted the episode. Geimer supported the Polish decision, adding, “He said he did it, he pled guilty, he went to jail.
9. Polanski continued to make films, including The Pianist , a WWII true story drama about Jewish-Polish musician Władysław Szpilman.
10. The film won three Academy Awards including Best Director, along with numerous international awards.