1. Hamm held the record for international goals, more than any other player, male or female, in the history of soccer, Hamm is also the third most capped female player in soccer history behind Kristine Lilly and Christie Rampone, appearing in 275 international matches.
2. She also holds the national team record for most career assists with 144.
3. Born in Selma, Alabama on March 17, 1972 to parents Bill and Stephanie Hamm, Mariel Margaret Hamm, nicknamed Mia, was the fourth of six children. Hamm spent her childhood on United States Air Force bases with her parents and siblings.
4. The family moved many times and resided in several places including San Antonio, Texas, and Italy. Florence, Italy is where Hamm was first introduced to soccer.
5. As a high school freshman and sophomore, she played soccer for Notre Dame Catholic High School in Wichita Falls, Texas.
6. Hamm attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she helped the Tar Heels win four National Collegiate Athletic Association .
7. North Carolina only lost one game in the ninety five she played on the team. Ela era um jogador Conferência All-American e Costa Atlântica do ano para os últimos três anos.
8. She also won ACC Female Athlete of the Year in 1993 and 1994.
9. Hamm was also a member of the American National college team that played in the 1993 Summer Universiade and lost to China, obtaining the silver medal.
10. She graduated from college with the ACC records for goals with 103, assists with 72, and total points with 278.