1. He gained fame for his leading and supporting roles in several iconic films from the 1970s, playing Police Chief Martin C. Brody in Jaws .
2. He is also known for playing Captain Nathan Bridger in the science fiction television series seaQuest DSV .
3. Scheider was born in Orange, New Jersey, As a child, Scheider was an athlete, participating in organized baseball and boxing competitions, for which he was classed as a welterweight, com um peso de 140 lbs.
4. Scheider competed in the Diamond Gloves Boxing Tournament in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
5. He traded his boxing gloves for the stage, studying drama at both Rutgers University and Franklin and Marshall College, where he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.
6. After three years as an officer in the United States Air Force, he appeared with the New York Shakespeare Festival, and won an Obie Award in 1968.
7. On television, Scheider played running roles on two CBS soap operas, Love of Life and The Secret Storm, and also played character roles in episodes of Coronet Blue and N.Y.P.D..
8. Between 1946 and 1949, Scheider boxed as an amateur in New Jersey. Scheider said in a television interview in the 1980s, that he took up boxing to lose weight.
9. He said he had no desire to fight, but that his trainer, Georgie Ward, encouraged him to compete. In his second bout, at the 1946 Diamond Gloves Tournament , Scheider suffered a broken nose and lost by technical knockout in two rounds to Myron Greenberg.
10. In 1976, he appeared as secret agent Doc Levy in Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier.
11. He was originally cast in The Deer Hunter, the second movie of a three-movie deal with Universal Studios. However, despite being under contract, Scheider dropped out two weeks before the start of filming.
12. Universal offered him the option of reprising his role as Martin Brody for a Jaws sequel, and would consider his contractual obligations fulfilled if he accepted.