1. Thornton had his first break when he co-wrote and starred in the 1992 thriller One False Move, and came to international attention after writing, directing, and starring in the independent drama film Sling Blade , for which he won an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor.
2. In 2014, Thornton starred in the first season of the anthology series Fargo, earning a nomination for the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or TV Movie at the Emmy Awards and won Best Actor in a Miniseries or TV Film at the 72nd Golden Globe Awards.
3. Thornton is cited as an “anti-film star” who approaches his roles like a character actor and rarely accepts roles in blockbusters.
4. He has been vocal about his disrespect for celebrity culture, choosing to keep his life out of the public eye.
5. However, the attention of the media has proven unavoidable in certain cases, his marriage to Angelina Jolie being a notable example. Thornton has written a variety of films, usually set in the Southern United States and mainly co-written with Tom Epperson, including A Family Thing .
6. After Sling Blade, he directed several other films, including Daddy and Them .
7. In addition to film work, Thornton began a career as a singer-songwriter.
8. He has released four solo albums and is the vocalist of a blues rock band The Boxmasters.
9. Thornton was born in Hot Springs, Arkansas, At the age of seven months, Thornton set the Clark County record for heaviest infant, at 30 pounds.
10. He was one of three brothers, with Jimmy Don , who resides in California.
11. Jimmy Don wrote a number of songs, dois dos quais Thornton gravou em seus discos solo.
12. During his childhood, Thornton lived in numerous places in Arkansas, including Alpine, Mount Holly, and Malvern.
13. In the mid-1980s, Thornton settled in Los Angeles to pursue his career as an actor, with future writing partner Tom Epperson. and fast food management between auditioning for acting jobs.
14. He also played drums and sang with South African rock band Jack Hammer.