1. Travolta first became known in the 1970s, after appearing on the television series Welcome Back, Kotter .
2. His acting career declined through the 1980s, but enjoyed a resurgence in the 1990s with his role in Pulp Fiction .
3. He won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for his performance in Get Shorty.
4. In 2014, he received the IIFA Award for Outstanding Achievement in International Cinema.
5. Travolta, the youngest of six children, and raised in Englewood, New Jersey, an inner-ring suburb of New York City.
6. After attending Dwight Morrow High School, He then moved to Los Angeles to further his career in show business.
7. Travolta performed several of the songs on the Grease soundtrack album.
8. After Urban Cowboy, Travolta starred in a series of financial and critical failures that sidelined his acting career.
9. These included Perfect, co-starring Jamie Lee Curtis, and Two of a Kind, a romantic comedy reteaming him with Olivia Newton-John.
10. During that time he was offered, but turned down, lead roles in what would become box office hits, including American Gigolo
11. Notable roles following Pulp Fiction include a movie-buff loan shark in Get Shorty .
12. Travolta also starred in and co-produced Battlefield Earth , based on a work of science fiction by L. Ron Hubbard, in which he played the leader of a group of aliens that enslaves humanity on a bleak future Earth.
13. In 2007, he starred in Wild Hogs and played Mrs. Edna Turnblad in the remake of Hairspray, his first musical since Grease. In 2008 he lent his voice for the film Bolt, in which he played the title role.
14. Travolta was in a relationship with actress Diana Hyland, whom he met while filming The Boy in the Plastic Bubble; Hyland died of breast cancer in 1977.