1. She has performed in leading roles in a variety of films, ranging from romantic comedies and dramas to science fiction and action movies.
2. She starred in several more films throughout the 1990s such as The Truth About Cats & Dogs, Batman & Robin, Gattaca and Les Misérables.
3. She won a Golden Globe Award for the TV movie Hysterical Blindness .
4. Sua carreira foi um pouco revitalizado quando ela se reuniu com o diretor Quentin Tarantino para desempenhar o papel principal em ambos os filmes Kill Bill, que trouxeram um adicional de duas indicações ao Globo de Ouro com uma indicação ao BAFTA.
5. Her forename Uma, Sanskrit उमा, the Hindu goddess of love and fertility.
6. Her father, Robert Alexander Farrar Thurman, is a professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies; an academic and writer, he lived as an ordained Buddhist monk for three years.
7. Her mother, Nena von Schlebrügge, was a noblewoman of Baroness virtue and a high-fashion model, discovered in Stockholm, who moved to New York at the age of 17 to join the Ford Modelling Agency.
8. Thurman is described as having been an awkward and introverted girl who was teased for her tall frame, angular bone structure, enormous feet and unusual name . She attended Amherst Public Schools.
9. olheiros notado seu desempenho como Abigail em uma produção de The Crucible e ofereceu-lhe a oportunidade de atuar profissionalmente.
10. Thurman attended Northfield Mount Hermon School, a preparatory school in Massachusetts, before dropping out to pursue a career in acting.
11. Thurman began her career as a fashion model at age 15, and signed with the agency Click Models.
12. Her early modeling credits included Glamour and the December 1985 and May 1986 covers of British Vogue. She made her movie debut in 1988, appearing in four films that year.
13. Her first two were the high school comedy Johnny Be Good and teen thriller Kiss Daddy Goodnight.
14. At the time, insecure about her appearance, she spent roughly a year in London, during which she often wore loose, baggy clothing. Malkovich said of her, “There is nothing twitchy teenager-ish about her, I haven’t met anyone like her at that age.
15. In 1990, Thurman appeared with Fred Ward and Maria de Medeiros in the sexually provocative drama Henry & June, the first film to receive an NC-17 rating.