1. Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland is a British-born Canadian actor, film producer, and film director.
2. He has won an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and two Satellite Awards for his portrayal of Jack Bauer on the Fox series 24.
3. Since 2001 Sutherland has been associated most widely with the role of Bauer.
4. Sutherland has also had a successful movie career and starred in films such as Stand by Me .
5. His maternal grandfather was Scottish-born Canadian politician and former Premier of Saskatchewan Tommy Douglas, who is widely credited for bringing universal health care to Canada.
6. Sutherland is named after American-born writer and director Warren Kiefer, who, under the assumed name of Lorenzo Sabatini,
7. He attended elementary school at Crescent Town Elementary School, St. Clair Junior High East York, and John G. Althouse Middle School in Toronto.
8. He also spent a semester at Regina Mundi Catholic College in London, Ontario and attended weekend acting lessons at Sir Frederick Banting Secondary School.
9. Sutherland told Jimmy Kimmel Live! that he and Robert Downey, Jr. were roommates for three years when he first moved to Hollywood to pursue his career in acting. He and Downey, Jr. also starred together in the film 1969.
10. Sutherland made his screen debut in Max Dugan Returns , in which his father Donald Sutherland also starred.
11. Stand by Me was the first film Sutherland made in the United States. In the film, directed by Rob Reiner, he played a neighborhood bully in a coming-of-age story about a search for a dead body.
12. His film Promised Land, with Meg Ryan, was the first film to be commissioned by the Sundance Film Festival.
13. In the Western film Young Guns , he starred alongside Emilio Estevez and Lou Diamond Phillips.
14. He was considered for the role of Robin in Batman , alongside Michael Keaton, in the early production before the character was deleted from the shooting script. He went on to star again with his close friend Lou Diamond Phillips, in the crime-action film Renegades.
15. That same year, he and his father appeared at the 61st Academy Awards as presenters of the Academy Honorary Award to the National Film Board of Canada.
16. It is the only sequel in a feature film he has starred in.