1. Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra , known professionally as Meg Ryan, is an American actress and film producer.
2. After early roles in films such as Top Gun , which earned her her first Golden Globe nomination.
3. She subsequently established herself as one of the most successful actresses of the 1990s, particularly in romantic comedy films, including Joe Versus The Volcano .
4. Her mother, Susan Jordan , is a former actress and English teacher, and her father, Harry Hyra, is a math teacher. She has Polish, Irish, and German ancestry.
5. Ela foi criada como católica e participou St. Pius X Elementary School in Fairfield.
6. Ryan has two sisters, Dana and Annie, and a brother, the musician Andrew Hyra, a member of the former band Billy Pilgrim.
7. Ryan graduated from Bethel High School in 1979. She went on to study journalism as an undergraduate, first at the University of Connecticut and then at New York University.
8. During college, she acted in television commercials to earn extra money.
9. She dropped out of college a semester before she would have graduated and has said this decision was the result of her success as an actress.
10. Around that same time, she appeared in a Burger King commercial.
11. Several television film and smaller film roles followed, including Charles in Charge, Armed and Dangerous, Amityville 3-D and Promised Land; for her role in the latter she received her first Independent Spirit Award nomination.
12. In 1986, she played Carole Bradshaw, the wife of Naval Flight Officer Nick “Goose” Bradshaw em Top Gun.
13. Ryan starred in the film Innerspace with her future husband Dennis Quaid, then in the remake of D.O.A. and in The Presidio.
14. Her first leading role was the romantic comedy film When Harry Met Sally… , which paired her with comedic leading man Billy Crystal and earned her a Golden Globe nomination.
15. Ryan next starred in The Doors, which was moderately successful, and Prelude to a Kiss, which flopped. The year 1993 saw the release of the hugely successful romantic comedy Sleepless in Seattle, which paired Ryan for the second time with Tom Hanks.
16. In 1994, Ryan wanted to break away from being typecast and chose to take on several roles that were different from the romantic-comedy ingenue character for which she had become famous.