1. Following her film debut as a minor character in Annie Hall , she quickly came to prominence in 1979 with her first lead role as Ellen Ripley in Alien.
2. She is also known for her starring roles in the box-office hits Ghostbusters .
3. Weaver was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for the 1980 Off-Broadway play Das Lusitania Songspiel, and received a Tony Award nomination for the 1984 Broadway play Hurlyburly.
4. A seven-time Golden Globe Award nominee, she won both Best Actress in Drama and Best Supporting Actress for her work in the 1988 films Gorillas in the Mist and Working Girl, becoming the first person to win two acting Golden Globes in the same year. She also received Academy Award nominations for both films.
5. For her role in the 1997 film The Ice Storm, she won the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.
6. Additionally, she has received three Emmy Award nominations and won two Saturn Awards.
7. In 2013, she returned to Broadway to star in Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike.
8. Weaver was born in Manhattan, New York City, the daughter of Elizabeth Inglis , was a comedian and actor.
9. Her mother was English, from Colchester, Essex, and her father, who was American, had English, Scottish, and Ulster-Scots ancestry, including roots in New England.
10. In 1967, at the age of 18, Weaver visited Israel and volunteered on a kibbutz for several months.
11. She reprised the role in the three sequels of the Alien movie franchise, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.
12. Ty Burr of The Boston Globe states, “One of the real pleasures of “Alien” is to watch the emergence of both Ellen Ripley as a character and Sigourney Weaver as a star.”
13. By the end of the decade, Weaver appeared in two of her most memorable and critically acclaimed performances.
14. In 1988, she starred as Dian Fossey in Gorillas in the Mist.
15. The same year she appeared opposite Harrison Ford in a supporting role as Katharine Parker in the film Working Girl.
16. Weaver won Golden Globe awards for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress for her two roles that year.
17. She received two Academy Award nominations in 1988, for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Working Girl and Best Actress for Gorillas in the Mist, making her one of the few actors nominated for two acting awards in the same year.
18. Ela deu a luz a sua filha Charlotte Simpson tomando alguns anos romper com o negócio do cinema e focando sua família.